- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Half inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
Bring the oil to heat on high and drop in the sugar. As it caramelises, toss in the sliced onions and sauté for five minutes. Then add the ginger and garlic and stir for another five minutes until the whole lot turns golden.
Now add the tomatoes, chilli powder and turmeric and stir well for a couple of minutes until the pungent aroma of the spices softens. Lower the heat to a simmer, adding a splash of hot water if the spices start getting stuck to the bottom of the pan, and cook the spice paste for five minutes.